Sunday, March 21, 2010

BBQ Tempeh Sandwich

It was one of those days when I wanted to make something different but was limited by time and effort. I had been craving for a good vegan sandwich and some of the posts on the PPK forum about vegan club sandwich was not helping to curb my temptation. I didn't want to use mock meat - they somehow taste horrid to me and they are loaded with artificial flavours and chemicals - so out came the tempeh, the not as popular cousin of tofu. I just simply sliced the tempeh in half, boiled it for about 10 minutes with some turmeric to remove its beany taste and marinated in some BBQ sauce. Pop it on the grill and your done! It wasn't the best sandwich as I was limited by the fillings. I only managed to grill some yellow bell peppers together with the tempeh but I'm sure with some fresh greens and a side of potato wedges, it will be phenomenal.

BBQ Tempeh Sandwich

3 tempeh 
a pinch of turmeric
some bbq sauce of your choice
some black pepper
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
chili sauce, mustard, vegan mayonnaise and the works.   
8 slices of bread

Method

1) Split the tempeh lengthwise and cut it into four pieces each (altogether 12 pieces)
2) Heat some water. Once it starts to boil, add the tempeh and turmeric and boil for about 10 minutes. Drain the water.
3) Marinate the tempeh in BBQ sauce and pepper for about an hour or longer.
4) Heat a non-stick grill or pan. Add a little oil. 
5) Grill the tempeh, onion and bell pepper until brown and caramelised.
6) Assemble the sandwich as you desire - adding your favourite sauces and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment