Monday, January 11, 2010

Meal in a Bowl - Gado Gado

I remember eating my first gado-gado when I was in primary school. Wisps of vegetables smothered in peanut gravy, it was different from the traditional rojak that my mum used to make. I didn't think much of it and it was soon a forgotten memory. After turning vegetarian, I chanced upon gado-gado when I searching for a peanut sauce recipe online. I knew that this Indonesian salad would be a perfect meal in a bowl with nutritious vegetables and nuts. Also, the fat content is relatively low depending on how you prepare it and this can make a great raw salad dish. The vegetable crackers on top are just for the texture, they add a crunchy feel to it. If you are not able to get your hands on them, it can be simply omitted. Feel free to add any other vegetables of your choice. 

Gado-Gado

2 potatoes, peeled and boiled
200g cabbaged, shredded and blanched
100g long beans, cut to 2 inch size and blanched
3 tofu, cubed and fried/baked/pan-fried
1 cucumber, cut into thick pieces
a handful of bean sprouts, washed
vegetable crackers

Peanut Sauce:

1/2 tablespoon oil
50g onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, pounded
400ml water
2 teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
30g tamarind soaked in 120ml water
6 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
300g roasted grated peanut
3 tablespoon sesame seed

Method:

1) In a pan, heat the oil and add the onions. Saute until fragrant. 
2) Add the garlic and let it brown for a minute.
3) Add the water and  chili powder. Bring to boil.
4) Bring the heat to low. Add the seasoning, tamarind water and peanut and sesame seeds.
5) Adjust the taste and bring to a simmer. Take it off the heat.
6) To assemble, add required amount of vegetables in a plate. Spoon over the peanut sauce. Crumble some vegetable crackers on top.

1 comment:

  1. I also started to be really interested in Gado-Gado once I went vegan. Friends of mine who went in Indonesia and Malaysia advised me an Indonesian restaurant in Nantes... And its Gado-Gado salad in the menu. I realized Gado-Gado salad, as well as vegetables in coconut gravy are good veg recipes to make when receiving non-vegetarians. Even if there is no meat, even if it's spicy (for French tastes). Same as curry dishes of course!

    ReplyDelete