Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Porridge for the Ailing Soul

The past few weeks my family and I have been battling sore throat and the dreaded sniffles. I haven't been having motivation or energy to cook elaborate meals and so I made some soothing porridge which is really quite easy to do. Porridge has a special place in my heart as traditionally my mother used to make it for dinner during Ramadhan. It is gentle on the stomach and filled with nutrition and so it was a good way to start the evening. She usually makes a spicy tomato relish of sorts but I just kept this dish simple and paired it with the kailan stir fry.

Rice Porridge

1 tablespoon channa dal
1 liter water
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 thumb size ginger, sliced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste

Method

1) Wash the broken rice and channa dal until the water runs clear.
2) In a pot add all ingredients and bring to boil.
3) Simmer until the rice is completely cook and turns mushy. Cook to attain desired consistency. The longer you cook, the thicker it gets. 

Tip: Using a pressure cooker will speed up the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment