Friday, October 30, 2009

Shiitake Cabbage Fried Rice

I've always loved mushrooms. They come in so many shapes, sizes and delectable flavours, not to mention the versatility of these fungi. They can easily be deep fried, stir fried, boiled, grilled, the list just goes on. My first experience with mushrooms was when I was a kid and my mother used to deep fry oyster mushrooms coated in a spicy batter to produce crunchy golden wisps of juicy oily goodness. Of cos' as we grew older and became more health conscious, my mother stopped producing that delicacy. However, my taste for mushrooms continued unabated.

This fried rice mainly uses Shiitake mushrooms. More pronounced in flavor, this mushroom can overpower a dish with its heady aroma. I like it in soups as it not only imparts its essence, it is also able to hold its shape very well while absorbing the rich broth of soups. This dish was created for four people and I used a few additional vegetables that are not all necessary.

Shiitake Cabbage Fried Rice

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, pounded
10g ginger, pounded
1 tomato, diced (optional)
6 chilli padi, sliced finely
60g chye sim, cut into manageable pieces (optional)
40g carrot, diced
150g cabbage, sliced finely
120g shiitake mushroom, sliced
3 tablespoon light soy (I use Sin Sin reduced sodium light soy)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use reduced sodium salt)
1 piece of tofu, diced and deep fried/pan fried
750g cooked rice
Coriander for garnishing

Method:

1) In a wok, add the olive and sesame oil. Once heated add the onions and caramelize until fragrant.
2) Add the pounded garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant. Add the tomato and cook until it disintegrates. 
3) Add the chilli padi, stems of the chye sim, carrots and cabbage and cook until wilted.
4) Add the chye sim leaves, mushroom and seasoning. Saute until cooked.
5) Add the tofu, stir briskly and add the cooked rice. Incorporate the rice to the mixture.
6) Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve. Sprinkle some coriander on the rice.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish Halimah! I'm gona try your recipe out tonight:)~ gowri

    ReplyDelete