Thursday, October 29, 2009

Humming to Hummus

I've only tasted hummus twice in my life. The first time was at a passable Egyptian restaurant in Singapore that left me wondering what the big hummus craze was all about. Though I had on many occasions read about the fabled hummus on several vegan blogs, I never mustered the courage to try it and after my first forgettable experience, I chugged that thought out of my mind.

During a recent trip to Phuket to enjoy the Vegetarian Festival, my husband and I stumbled upon a Lebanese restaurant at Patong Beach. Fatigued from the inescapable green curry and rice combination, we were craving for some other cuisine to revive our taste buds. Fortunately we spotted this restaurant and immediately made our way there. The hummus we had there was truly mind blowing and I finally understood why it is such a hit all around. Creamy, mild, with a teasing hint of sesame, the hummus was the star of the night. Both me and my hubby loved it so much we nearly licked the bowl clean! 

I knew I had to recreate it once we got back and true enough, within days, I was craving for hummus. Fortunately, I was amply armed with a can of chickpea and I just had to pick up a lemon at the supermarket. The only problem was tahini and I wasn't about to spend an obscene amount of money for that. I simply used this recipe, scaled back, and it was perfect! 

Hummus (Adapted from here)

1 can of chickpeas (I used S&W brand)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon tahini
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Olive oil to drizzle on top
cumin powder to sprinkle on top

Method

1) Drain the can of chickpeas, reserving about 1/3 cup. Rinse the chickpeas to remove some of the sodium.
2) In a food processor or blender, add all the ingredients (including the chickpea liquid) except olive oil and cumin. Blend thoroughly until it is creamy and smooth. Remember that seasonings can be adjusted. Hold back on the salt and the lemon juice and add them to taste. I used 3 tbsp of lemon and it was quite lemony. 
3) If it is too liquid, add a little more tahini to thicken it. If it is too thick, add more of the chickpea liquid.
4) Before serving, sprinkle some cumin powder and make a well in the centre. Pour in olive oil. (I omitted olive oil for a healthier version)
5) Makes a fantastic dip for breads, chips and raw vegetables.



No comments:

Post a Comment