I don't have to say much about stir fried noodles. Though it originates in Asia, today it is commonly served in many restaurants and homes all over the world. This noodle dish is similar to a noodle dish that was once served to me when I was working overnight and had to be holed up in a hotel. The restaurant staff were happy to make me a vegetarian version of their Indonesian noodles which was simple yet so delicious. I do believe some sweet sauce was used in that dish, however, I have substituted it with vegetarian oyster sauce which is sweet yet savoury. Feel free to add any vegetables that you like or keep it plain.
Easy Indonesian Mee Goreng (Serves 2-3 people)
300g firm tofu
1/2 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 inch thumb size ginger
4 garlic stems (optional - had this at home and added it in for fun)
1 tomato (about 70g)
100g kailan or other leafy vegetables
70g beans sprouts
400g yellow noodles
1/2 - 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
4 chilli padi (adjust to your heat tolerance)
1) Grill the tofu and cut it into rough slices or cubes. Set aside.
2) Peel and slice the onion. Pound the garlic and ginger together. Bruise the lemongrass. Prepare vegetables accordingly.
3) In a wok, add the oil and saute the onion and lemongrass. Once browned, add the garlic, ginger and garlic stems if using.
4) In the meanwhile, wash the yellow noodles to remove excess oil. Add it to the wok together with all the vegetables, chilli padi and seasonings.
5) Stir fry and adjust the seasoning to taste. Add more fresh beans sprouts and grilled tofu towards the end for a crunchy texture.
6) Stir fry until done. Serve hot.