Sunday, March 21, 2010

Vegan Kampong Fried Rice

Sometime last month, I received an email request about finding a traditional fried rice dish that is unique to Singapore and Malaysia. My search came back with zilch and also since my hubby is not a fan of rice, I don't cook rice often at home. However, during the search, I stumbled upon a few sites that were discussing Kampong Fried Rice, another traditional fried rice made with simple ingredients. I decided to make my own version of it and to substitute egg, I used Chinese tofu , crumbled and sauteed with a little black salt. The end result was pretty tasty and both of us enjoyed it very much!

Kampong Fried Rice

150g firm silken tofu
1 teaspoon olive oil
a pinch of black salt
a pinch of turmeric

2 teaspoon olive oil
3 shallots, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tomato, quartered
150g cabbage, shredded
enough cooked rice for 2 people (sorry, I forgot to measure this!)
salt and soy sauce to taste
2 teaspoons vegetarian belachan powder (optional)
Coriander and spring onion for garnishing (optional)

Method

1) In a wok, add the oil, silken tofu, turmeric and black salt. Saute until the tofu is crumbled and loses moisture. (It should become quite dry). Remove.
2) Add the remaining oil and cook the shallots until crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
3) In the same oil, add the garlic and saute until slightly brown and fragrant.
4) Add the tomato and cabbage and cook until wilted. Add the seasonings.
5) Add cook rice and stir until well coated. Continue to cook over low heat until rice is well incorporated. 
6) Sprinkle the crisped shallots, coriander and spring onions. Serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment