Monday, February 8, 2010

Watermelon Granita

This recipe was actually inspired by my friend Virginie. During a trip to Singapore, we had a cook out session at my place and she brought some watermelon juice that she had prepared earlier to be frozen in my fridge. During the freezing process, the plan was to add some chopped dried figs but unfortunately we were facing a particularly bad spell of hot weather in Singapore and the juice never froze! Nevertheless, it made a deliciously cold and refreshing watermelon drink. 

On a recent visit to the supermarket with my brother, the watermelon fiend managed to convince me to pick up a particularly large watermelon. Now, I love watermelon, but I just can't find a space to store it in the fridge. Then I thought about Virginie's plan to make watermelon sorbet and decided to attempt it again. Of course I did not have figs and I just squeezed in some lemon juice and left it in the freezer. I forgot about it and it froze solid and in the end I had to scrap it off and hence watermelon granita was born!

Watermelon Granita

1 liter watermelon juice
3 tablespoon organic sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Method

1) Strain the watermelon juice to remove the pulp and fiber.
2) Add the sugar and lemon juice and stir until the sugar dissolves.
3a) If you have an ice cream maker, follow manufacturer's instructions and make it into a sorbet OR
3b) freeze the mixture in the freezer until it is semi solid. Mix it well with a fork, put it back in the fridge and let it freeze well.
4) Scrap the watermelon ice into a bowl and serve immediately. 

2 comments:

  1. This time it looks really nice, as I wanted it to be last time. Now I know how to make sorbet in Singapore: just forget it in the freezer. I'm happy you like it, whatever texture it has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Virginie! It was a particular hot time when u visited Singapore. :)

    ReplyDelete