Monday, February 1, 2010

Sweet Sour Broccoli Cashew Stir fry

As much as I love my mother and enjoy her food it was one of those days when I just wanted something different. Since I had made a visit to the grocer, my fridge was filled with vegetables (sort of) and I wanted to make a stirfry to go with the quinoa and cannelloni beans (white beans). I wanted it to be healthy and wholesome but not the typical stirfry - drenched in soy sauce. So I made it with some maple syrup and lime juice. I have to confess that I made this dish as I went along and the measurements are not accurate. You have to adjust the seasoning to your palate. Overall, it made for an interesting and different dish. 

Sweet Sour Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
10 cashews, split lengthwise
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 small red capsicum, diced into large pieces
1-2 teaspoon maple syrup
1-2 teaspoon light soy sauce
Rind and juice of 1 kalamansi lime

Method:

1) In a wok, heat the oil and brown the cashews. Remove and drain the cashews on a paper towel.
2) In the same oil, add the garlic. 
3) Once browned, add the broccoli, capsicum and the seasonings. Adjust to taste.
4) When the vegetables are cooked, add the cashews. 
5) Remove from heat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment